Sunday, July 26, 2009

Processing...

Many of you have asked me to write a little something more after I've had time to process my thoughts. I have sat down to write before and never come up with anything coherent. So instead of answering questions... let me just make a list of things I came home thinking about.

1. I don't like flying in and out as the Mzungu savior. Don't like feeling like the superstar because I'm American. That feels empty.
2. Filling spiritual needs goes even farther than physical needs. (But both are essential.)
3. There are a lot of Christians out there with a lot of money and some of them are using it in amazing ways.
4. There are some really needy people in Rwanda, and there are people in even worse situations in neighboring countries.
5. There is some amazing rebuilding and growth happening in Rwanda, too.
6. I love meeting new people and accomplishing tasks with a team.
7. I sometimes judge people unfairly.
8. I prefer to get to know people with conversations... which makes the language barrier a problem.
9. Hearing stories of real people is good. But hearing them as part of a 'tour' feels exploitative.
10. I don't know the middle ground between giving money and helping people help themselves.
11. People genuinely are encouraged when someone comes that far just to hear their story and say that they care. Even when it feels too simple for me.

There's more in my head (and heart)... but none of it probably adds much more to my list. That was just a brain dump in random order. But if anyone wants to chat more in person... I'm always happy to talk. I'm just happy that I went ahead and did it. Although after the 40+ hours of travel home, I was swearing I would wait at least a few years before I travel overseas again!!

Thanks for 'joining' me on my journey... maybe I'll use this blog again sometime!!
-Amy

1 comment:

  1. I love your thoughtful approach to summing up your experience Amy. Very wise. Great questions and important insights. Looking forward to connecting.

    ReplyDelete