Saturday, June 20, 2009

But What Are You Doing There?

That's the first question most people ask when they hear I am going to Rwanda. It's actually a tough question to answer, because at this point, the details are not firm. Before I tell you the details that I do know, I'd like to share something that a wise friend of mine told me. She said that when someone asks me that question, a good response is, "I am going to learn from people who follow God under much more difficult circumstances than we do and it will be up to God to decide how that will happen." I love to think about that. Although I may be spending some time serving the Rwandans, I will also be working along side them, too, and that is exciting.

For those who still need more details, here is what I know. Andrew Palau is doing a festival on July 17th and 18th. Alongside the festival, there will service projects and medical and dental clinics being provided. (see http://andrew.palau.org/ for more on the festival.) The team I am going with will be assisting in various service projects leading up to the festival and also will visit the genocide memorial, attend a women's luncheon and a business luncheon and visit local church services. The rest of the details are up to God! And I think I like that...

1 comment:

  1. Amy... Love it! I hope this perspective gives your mind rest and something to lean on as you prepare. Believe me, God will indeed do this. I am praying for you. Do you have time for a cup of tea and some Rwanda prep info before you go? I'd love to send something with you for Steven if you would be open to doing so.
    Peace
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete