Saturday, June 20, 2009

I'm Really Going!!

Hello and welcome to my blog. It's looks like I should have internet access from my hotel in Rwanda... so I'm planning on keeping a running update on my activities... hence this blog.

First, some background:
Ever since I can remember, I have wanted to go to Africa. The reality is, though, that it's not convenient or practical to go randomly to Africa, and no obvious opportunities ever arose to go, so I didn't spend much time thinking about it. Last year, I heard of a possible opportunity and followed up with an email and received no response, so I moved on.

Then, this past April, a friend of mine told me about a festival being planned in Rwanda by the Luis Palau organization. She was going and said I should come to. And what did I say? I said, "Oh, yeah, sometime that would be nice, but not right now." When I went home and mentioned it casually to Andy, he said, "You told her yes, right?" A light bulb went on then... of course, it's Africa, give it a try. So I pursued more information on it, but in the end decided it was not the right time... it just didn't seem practical...

Fast forward to the beginning of June when I finally got knocked on the head by enough friends who really know me and love me, I decided to look into it again. So it's been a crazy couple weeks, but I found a team to join, booked a flight and have started my vaccinations.

So that's how I got to where I am now: creating a blog and trying to cover all my bases while I'm gone! My main goal for this was to be able to update my family while I'm gone, but I'm happy to update whoever is interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment